Ozone is a safe super-oxygenated compound that is natural, inexpensive, and has the potential to improve many of our modern-day health problems. Therapeutic ozone is mainly used as a general health tonic and antiseptic, thus, improving overall health and functioning of the body. By enhancing biochemical characteristics and oxygen utilization in general, the downstream effect is most often improvement in many chronic health conditions, which often, have not improved with other therapies. This article is not to be taken as medical advice, but rather as information to help individuals improve their understanding of one of the most effective science-based natural health options.
The medical use of ozone to treat a variety of acute and chronic illnesses has been occurring in integrated medical clinics and has been scientifically studied for over 100 years. This safe, effective therapy is used extensively in many countries but is relatively new to North America where it has, unfortunately, been largely ignored.
Ozone is a gas (O3, which is O2 the oxygen gas we breath, with an added oxygen atom). This makes it an energized form of oxygen. It was first used therapeutically during World War I to disinfect wounds. It was later discovered that it could kill viruses, yeasts, bacteria, and parasites. This makes ozone a useful adjunct in dentistry, as a disinfectant in the oral cavity. More recent research shows that often ozone is a potent pain reliever, boosts the immune system, and improves overall circulation. In stroke recovery, for instance, major ozonated autohemotherapy (an intravenous form of ozone therapy) administered during the early stage of acute cerebral infarction significantly increased the clinical National Institutes of Health Stroke Scale and the Modified Rankin Scale scores, shortened the central motor conduction time, and increased the motor-evoked potential amplitude of the upper limbs in motor-evoked potential, suggesting that this treatment can improve motor function. Thus, ozone therapy may be an effective treatment for patients with acute cerebral infarction (stroke), and aid in prevention of long-term disability. Another proven circulatory benefit is with the use of ozone in Peripheral Artery Disease (PAD). PAD is a condition associated with aging and consists of poor blood flow to the legs and feet. It is a major cause of debility in aging patients. Ozone therapy has been shown to significantly improve this condition, including healing foot and leg ulcerations. Another chronic disease which research has established a clear benefit in is AMD, or Age-Related Macular Degeneration. Studies show that 2/3’s of patients suffering from vision loss due to dry macular degeneration regained enough vision with ozone therapy to regain self-sufficiency.
The five biological properties of Ozone that provide therapeutic benefit are the following:
- Immune regulator: When the immune system is overactive in auto-immune conditions Ozone will calm it down, and when it is underactive in such conditions as cancer, heart disease, and chronic infections, Ozone will act to stimulate it. This occurs because of the enhanced oxygen utilization in the mitochondria of cells, enabling optimal metabolic functioning. In white blood cells which regulate the immune system, Ozone enables optimal and effective cytokine production which translates to a healthy immune function.
- Increased Oxygen Uptake: Ozone stimulates the enzyme DPG (diphosphoglycerate) which enables the release of oxygen from hemoglobin so that the oxygen can be utilized by cells. In the absence of active DPG (which is common in Diabetics), cells become starved of oxygen, even when optimal oxygen levels are in the body.
- Improves circulation: Poor circulation and blood flow dynamics are a common effect of chronic inflammatory conditions, Diabetes, Heart disease, and Cancer. Ozone improves the flow characteristics of blood so that it can more easily penetrate tissues and deliver oxygen to cells.
- Increases Antioxidant protection more than any other therapy: Ozone stimulates antioxidant buffering systems throughout the body so that cells are protected from oxidative damage. This is a powerful effect that enables cells to regain health, vigor, and healthy functioning.
- Mitochondrial Stimulant: The mitochondria are the energy producers in every cell of our bodies. The fundamental underlying cause behind chronic degenerative disease is decreased mitochondrial energy production. Ozone can correct this problem by promoting efficient oxygen utilization, and thus, energy production in the mitochondria.
Prolozone is an ozone therapy technique developed to inject ozone directly into painful and/or worn-out joints, ligaments, and muscles. It has the capacity to repair degenerative joints and relieve pain safely, often preventing the need for joint replacement therapy. Millions of people have benefitted from the use of ozone therapies worldwide. It is estimated that 40,000 physicians in 45 countries use ozone treatments. These therapies have an extremely good safety record proving to have one of the lowest levels of side effects for any medical therapy.
- Akgül S, et al. (2018). Ozone therapy in periodontology. irispublishers.com/sjrr/fulltext/ozone-therapy-in-periodontology.ID.000502.php
- Andreula CF, Simonetti L, De Santis F, Agati R, Ricci R, Leonardi M. Minimally invasive oxygen-ozone therapy for lumbar disk herniation. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol. 2003 May;24(5):996-1000.
- Bocci V, et al. (2015). Validity of oxygen-ozone therapy as integrated medication form in chronic inflammatory diseases. ingentaconnect.com/content/ben/chddt/2015/00000015/00000002/art00012
- Bocci V, Luzzi E, Corradeschi F, Paulesu L, Di Stefano A. Studies on the biological effects of ozone: 3. An attempt to define conditions for optimal induction of cytokines. Lymphokine Cytokine Res. 1993 Apr;12(2):121-6.
- Borrelli E, Bocci V. Visual improvement following ozonetherapy in dry age related macular degeneration; a review. Med Hypothesis Discov Innov Ophthalmol. 2013 Summer;2(2):47-51. PMID: 24600642; PMCID: PMC3939750.
- Elvis AM, et al. (2011). Ozone therapy: A clinical review. DOI:10.4103/0976-9668.82319
- Fuccio C, et al. (2009). A single subcutaneous injection of the ozone prevents allodynia and decreases the over-expression of pro-inflammatory caspases in the orbito-frontal cortex of neuropathic mice. DOI: 10.1016/j.ejphar.2008.11.060
- Geng Y, Wang W, Ma Q, Peng LQ, Liang ZH. [Ozone therapy combined with sulfasalazine delivered via a colon therapy system for treatment of ulcerative colitis]. Nan Fang Yi Ke Da Xue Xue Bao. 2010 Dec;30(12):2683-5. Chinese. PMID: 21177179.
- Johansson E, et al. (2009). Antibacterial effect of ozone on cariogenic bacterial species. DOI: 10.1016/j.jdent.2009.02.004
- Juchniewicz H, Lubkowska A. Oxygen-Ozone (O2-O3) Therapy in Peripheral Arterial Disease (PAD): A Review Study. Ther Clin Risk Manag. 2020 Jun 29;16:579-594. doi: 10.2147/TCRM.S255247. PMID: 32636631; PMCID: PMC7334138
- Li JTC. (2016). Ozone air purifiers: Can they improve asthma symptoms? mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/asthma/expert-answers/asthma/faq-20058187
- Smith NL, Wilson AL, Gandhi J, Vatsia S, Khan SA. Ozone therapy: an overview of pharmacodynamics, current research, and clinical utility. Med Gas Res. 2017;7(3):212-219. Published 2017 Oct 17. doi:10.4103/2045-9912.215752
- Tiwari S, et al. (2017). Dental applications of ozone therapy: A review of literature. DOI: 10.1016/j.sjdr.2016.06.005
- Vinnik IS, et al. (2015). The results of combined ozone therapy using in complex treatment of soft tissues infections in patients with diabetes mellitus type II. DOI: 10.17116/hirurgia2015263-69
- Wells KH, et al. (1991). Inactivation of human immunodeficiency virus type 1 by ozone in vitro.bloodjournal.org/content/bloodjournal/78/7/1882.full.pdf
- Wu X, Li Z, Liu X, et al. Major ozonated autohemotherapy promotes the recovery of upper limb motor function in patients with acute cerebral infarction. Neural Regen Res. 2013;8(5):461-468. doi:10.3969/j.issn.1673-5374.2013.05.010
- Zhang J, et al. (2014). Increased growth factors play a role in wound healing promoted by non-invasive oxygen-ozone therapy in diabetic patients with foot ulcers. DOI: 10.1155/2014/273475
If you are suffering from pain, are tired of taking pain killers, and want to improve the ability of your body to do the things you love without suffering, contact our clinic for to find out which therapies are best suited to your personal needs.